Monday, August 9, 2010

Becomming a Peace Corps Trainee

I have finally in Washington DC and after a short trip on the metro I am at the Holiday Inn on Fairview. So, far so good as I was surprised to meet my first Peace Corps peer, Rachel from Colorado. The introductions were short lived with Rachel as I had to check in and get ready for dinner and drinks with Pontius and plus I really wasn't expecting anyone else to get to the hotel as early as me.

Upon my return to the hotel at around 11:30pm I felt bad about missing dinner and the arrival of other volunteers when, to my surprise 11 or so volunteers were gathered in the lobby of the hotel. We exchanged glances and made eye contact before finally asking, “Peace Corps?” and answering “Peace Corps.” I've finally met a portion of the 65 or so volunteers who will be traveling with me to Senegal. The fun would only continue the next day (Aug. 9) when registration begins at noon.

Sure enough on the dot it was 12 o'clock and the lobby of the Holiday Inn was stuffed with massive backpacks and luggage. The Peace Corps vounteers had arrived. So, naturally introductions began and no one really remembered each others names. Regirstration consisted of turning in the papers we were told to sign and siging more documents such as our new government passports. Pretty dull stuff but because of the new energy in the building brought by the excitement of fresh Peace Corps volunteers the process went by very quickly

2:00pm and it was time to sit down and begin with our lessons about safety, threats, anxiety, aspirations and overall what to expect during our service mixed in with the occassional ice breaker. Over all, everyone dealing with the same anxietys of learning a new language, being accepted, etc... It was nothing new but definitely comforting to know I was no where near the only on who was feeling this way.

7:00pm Regristration is finished and its back to square one. People are sort of wandering aimlessly attempting to stick around long enough to know what everyone else is doing for dinner (I must admit I was definitely apart of this group). Fortunately, it didn't take long and we decided on a micro-brew place called Rocky Bottom. $2.75 house brews and a menu filled with meat was all it took for us to be happy. My official last dinner in america consisted of 2 pints of beer (1 Kolsch, 1 Pale Ale) and a prime rib sandwhich with horseradish sauce and cheddar cheese accmpanied with kettle chips. Delicious.

It's now late 1:13am and I have to be up and ready by 8:15am for shots (yellow fever to be exact). I'm a little concerrned my bags will be overweight (again I don't think I am the only one). Hoever, I am not sure I want my bags to be overweight so, sorry mom and dad but I may be donating a few things to the Holiday Inn. My plan is to take my bags to the weight room in the hotel and weigh them there. I think I'm gonig to need a miracle though. But for now, je suis fatigue and I will attempt to write and post another blog in Senegal since I will be staying at the Thies training center for the next couple of days before being transferred to my first host family. Wish me luck.

P.S. If you are going to write letter DO NOT FORGET TO NUMBER THEM because sometime they don't get to Senegal and I don't want you to think I am blowing you off.

2 comments:

  1. ahhh i'm so excited for you! hope you have a safe flight to senegal. eat lots of good food before you leave.

    ReplyDelete