Friday, July 15, 2011

Blog Report 15th July, 2011

Only a week since my last post, I think (not that I want to be this frequent), and I am back updating you, the reader, with my doings or do nothings. Let us begin with the rain. How marvelous the rain is after a few months of day after day of 110+ days. Even the shade under he mango tree was too hot to stand. Thank goodness the rainy season has arrived.

The month in July as all of you know and Kedougou, as I think I explained previously, just got done with their annual fourth of July party. I was in charge of cash/organization and am extremely glad the 4th passed with no serious injuries or malfunctions. Unfortunately that did mean I was out of village for roughly a week planning, nursing head aches, and saying good bye to a friend who is off to bigger and better adventures.

Adventures. I've been thinking a lot about adventures lately especially with all this rain and the mountains I live below. I know my area is beautiful but now that the dust is cleared I'm sure there are some good waterfalls, sights seeing spots or valleys that a beaming with new growth and fresh water. Over the past week in village I have made a little pat with myself to adventure a bit more at least once a week. I don't mean running off to the next village or going to the waterfalls I know exist. I'm talking about asking people where the biggest most beautiful places are, who lives at these places, how do I get there, can I take a bike, do they speak Pulaar, and Whose coming with me.

My self-pact doesn't mean I am playing hookey. On the contrary, one can only plant, weed, thin, and add fertilizer so many times. Corn, sorghum, peanuts, bean, and sweet potato have to grow on their own some time. I've got the date of importance marked on my calendar and will be there for the 15 day weeding and day 45 for adding fertilizer. However, those 30 days in between don't all have to be spent visiting farms or sitting around drinking tea.

You all are probably asking yourselves know, “So, what sort of thing has C.J. Gotten himself into? What have you done C.J.?”

Sorry, but over the past week I've been playing a little catch up and one of those important days (day 15 thinning) came and went with out a hitch. I'd did visit a new village, near mine, that butts right up against the mountain. The place is beautiful and they want a volunteer. I don't have the final word but I gave them the proper paper work and we'll see what happens. I also took a little adventure to some fields that are just recently being plowed and planted. Yes, I got lost a little but nothing to cry home to about (sorry mom and Dad). Other than these little trips I really haven't had any stories.

The main story has been rain and how wonderful it is. I am now taking hot bucket baths again. The combination of cold rain and hot water make for one delightful experience. Throw in a sunset and you've got one hell of a start to an evening. These little adventures and warm/cold bucket baths are what I enjoy most about this beautiful place I live in.

Alright, enough of the sappy 'oh, I live in Africa' business and on to some events, some news. I may have told you but my garden was eaten almost bare by goats. Stinks but I think with the rains it'll keep on truckin'. In other news, my boss visited me and gave me some props as well as some pointers. It must be a Peace Corps must for it's employees to be great motivators. Either way, he and I spent a few hours talking about my work and stuff and it made me feel important. Important like my work had a purpose other than to just feed people vegetables. Now-a-days, my focus has turned to farming and setting up small examples of mulching, spacing and thinning with in individual farmers fields (this should add to my adventuring).

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble with out much purpose or direction but I'm in a bit of a rush to get back to the fam-bam. Don't want to miss any more planting or the first opportunity to visit our very own 2 foot waterfall/swimming hole or fishing. I hope the rainy season is a good as I'm dreaming it will be. Water makes me happy and well the very name rainy season sounds like there should be quite a bit of rain.

For Kaveny,

Cooking a pig in the ground:
Items:
Rocks rouhgly 5-6 head sized and 2-4 fist sized
banan leaves and stalk or some other type of fire barrier and insulator
WOOD
Shovel
Drinks of choice
Golves
wire
chicken wire
Plastic tarp

Dig hole big enough to fit pig in with about a 4-6 inches of space all the way around it. Fill hole with wood and rocks. Light fire, relax, and prep pig (banana leave and stalks on outside pig but inside of chicken wire plus seasonings). Once fire has burned down to coals and rocks are red hot fish out the smaller rocks and stuff in side of pig stomach. Sew pig stomach up. Sew chicken wire with banana stalk, leaves and pig sandwich up nice and tight. Try to not let any of the pig show. Form crevice of rocks and coals in pit for pig to fit in. Place pig in, if you have one place a piece of sheet metal on top of the pig, extra banana stalks can also be used, if not bury pig with first layer of dirt. Place plastic tarp over first layer of dirt and then cover the tarp with dirt. This should reduce the amount of heat lost via the top of the hole significantly. Let pig cook for 10-15 hours dependent on size. You can't over cook it. When ready, dig up pig, clean off dirt, and eat.

1 comment: