Friday, July 29, 2011

Ramadan-Farms-Blah-Blah-Blah

So, it is another Friday and another radio show will but put on here in Kedougou. I am not sure I have ever describe what exactly our Peace Corps Radio Shows incorporates. I guess I should start now since I am in here.

The Peace Corps Kedougou Radio Show is a flavor of the week sort of show. What we talk about really depends on the time of year, genre (health, Ag, Agfo), and whether or not we feel it has importance (most of the time we do feel it has some importance). For example, last week June 22nd we spoke about correct spacing and thinning of corn and millet, Perma-gardening, and a little supply and demand. Most of these pieces are short, roughly 10 minutes, and explained with a straw-man skit. Straw-man means one of us acts completely naïve about whatever subject is being discussed while the other explains step by step what to do and why. The straw-man then repeat what the genius has taught him to reconfirm that he understands. It's a very effective way to communicate things that aren't directly tangible and the straw-man technique is extremely fun to play out as it often leads down random funny roads.

I'll try to post an example of one of our shows on the blog so you guys can listen to it.

Other than the radio show things haven't been too busy. Farming is continuing on at a frantic pace so that one doesn't have to farm too much during Ramadan, which starts on August 3rd. Apparently August is supposed to be the rainiest month of the year as well. That's good news because my local river and 2 foot waterfall should be flowing soon. I'll have to take some photos.

Over the last what ever its been. Time sort of flows together and gets lost here. Which is funny because they are obsessive about checking their watches and cell phones with me as well as each other to make sure they all have the same time. It always confuses me when someone asks me what time it is and their cell phone is in their hand. I don't always carry my cell phone on me so often times I just look at the sky and give my best estimate. I've gotten pretty good at it but no where near the mawbe (old men's) quality.

Some exciting news here on the West African coast in brevity:

Malaria and or Dengue are the new flu as mosquitoes take over
Presidential elections are getting heated as one candidate tries to slither his way through
Corn will soon be ready for fire roasting and eating at just 25cents a pop (too bad real butter melts in your pockets).
Waterfalls and skin infection win the awards for strangest couple and most eye opening.
PCV's being inventing a new extreme sport called mud skiing. (it involves some sort of vehicle usually a bike, rope, sticks and one large mus puddle).

That's all for now any request, comments, suggestions please feel free to let me know. Really I am just sort of writing this thing for the hell of it. I think there maybe a lot more interesting things written in my journal at site but I haven't mustered the courage to just directly copy yet.

Unitl next time I wish you guys all a good Ramadan. Eat lots of good food for me, for those of you near water sources jump in, those near forests/mountains go get lost for a while it's good for you, and for those of you who don't fall into either of these categories start you own small garden and experience just how good it feels to give life to something. Wonnen e Jam (Lets be in Peace).

1 comment:

  1. webcast / podcast PC kedougou radio show?

    rueckner is next to me. we love you.

    ReplyDelete