Thursday, July 7, 2011

One Great American Holiday

Alright I have been back and healed from my last post for abut a month now. Things have been going well and after a little catch up on work I seem to be back in the groove of things. I've distributed seeds to my farmers and educated them on the planting, saving, and caring techniques Peace Corps has passed down to me. Whether or not these techniques will be used is completely the farmers decision and from what I have seem so far the techniques have been ignored. I guess that what you get for trying to "change" a habit based on history and survival. All in all, I chalk it up as a success because I cans still try and at least get them to save the seed they do grow instead of being almost completely dependent on NGO's and other programs to come in and give them what they need.

Also, my garden was producing eggplant, okra, tomatoes, and green peppers like mad. Most of which, tomatoes and green peppers, I ate while in the garden while the eggplant and okra went to family and friends. I eas even able to supply a baby shower with enough eggplant and okra to be put in every bowl (for perspective roughly 40 people showed up not including my village). Pretty good I think. Unfortunately, the day before leaving for Kedougou (July 1st) my garden was broken into by some thieves, goats to be specific. They ate most of the okra, bitter tomatoe, beans, moringa, etc...etc.... Hopefully some of it is left but from what I saw the village isn't to interested in copying what I am doing but more so in just eating what I can produce.

Anyway, I also had a visitor, the volunteer before me, Steve, came back for a visit during his trip to Mali. It was wonderful to spend the day with him and hear what has changed, what he liked, what he actually did, and what the villagers lie about him doing. The village builds Steve up to be a real superhero so, it was nice to see how he really is and realize he is just human.

At the present moment, I am recovering from a long week of planning, creating, and enjoying our annual Fourth of July Party. I say planning but really nothing could be done with out the other volunteers in Kedougou. The party went smooth and I even cooked two Kalua Pigs (yup, dug the holes and everything). People loved them and I had never felt so Hawaiian before. Pulling the pigs out of the ground people began gathering, then I tore of some meat and gave it to someone for tasting. Eyes watered, saliva dribbled, and the frenzy began. I don't think it took more than 30 minutes for people to finish off these pigs. And that was that for the pigs. The party continued on into the night. I haven't heard one complaint.

Really now, this moment, I am putting together my life, getting all the things I have put off to plan the party done, in hopes I will be biking back out to the village this evening. I sadly have to say goodbye to a ear friend today. He'll be leaving for another adventure after serving here for a little over 3 years. I'm bummed but know we'll stay in touch. I'll say goodbye then hit the road and the next time I come in he'll be gone, still so strange. Until next time remember : Mon haylaaki, o haylay horee (The one who doesn't adventure, only shakes their head). Keep that in mind the next time you can't figure out what to do on a day off and just get out and walk around. You'll be surprised at the things you find.

1 comment:

  1. i would be pretty interested to read about the farming techniques you learned from the corps. or even how to cook a pig in the ground.

    ReplyDelete